Monday, August 2, 2010

Soap Box

Andrew hates posts without pictures (so I try to limit them) but here's one.  I used to love John Mayer...love his music not necessarily him because I didn't know him, but I really related to his music.  If you know me at all, you know I speak my mind.  This is refreshing to some and offensive to others and thus I have been working on it since I realized it oh 8 years ago.  Slow, very slow progress.  So there was this song "My stupid mouth" from the first album he released that I loved. Here are a few lyrics the rest are super good too, but you'll get the gist:
My stupid mouth
Has got me in trouble
I said too much again
To a date over dinner yesterday
And I could see
She was offended
She said "well anyway..."
Just dying for a subject change

Oh, another social casualty
Score one more for me
How could I forget?
Mama said "think before speaking"
No filter in my head
Oh, what's a boy to do
I guess he better find one soon

Ok so I loved this song and pretty much loved every song on: Room for Squares, Heavier Things, and Continuum, and the instrumental on Continuum was so bluesy and dramatic I just loved it.  Well then the a song was released for "The Bucket List" movie called "Say"...basically he turns over every thing he said in "My stupid mouth".  I won't go into all the lyrics, just the line that makes me crazy "Its better to say too much then never say what you need to say again".  If you have ever said too much you regretted it...if you've ever held your tongue...you probably did not regret it.  So then I made a mistake and read an interview in a magazine that I will not name and could not finish becasue I was so disgusted...and then the first song on the new album was released "Who says" here's a few lyrics...

Who says I can’t get stoned, turn off the lights and the telephone
Me in my house alone, who says I can’t get stoned
Who says I can’t be free, from all of the things that I used to be
Rewrite my history, who says I can’t be free

that's enough...I just guess what he's rewriting himself into, I'm not a big fan of.  There, I've said it I feel better. I still love his old stuff, just have little respect for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment