Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

I actually have been cooking...just haven't told you about it yet.  Ok so I went to Atlanta Bread Company for lunch one day and had their B-nut Squash soup...I though I loved it, but they made it so sweet that I grew tired of it.  I decided I wanted to make my own.  I used this recipe but tweaked it. Below you will find my alterations in orange or marked through.

Ingredients


2 tablespoons butter EVOO

1 small onion, chopped

1 stalk celery, chopped

1 medium carrot, chopped

2 medium potatoes, cubed sliced

1 medium butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cubed

1 (32 fluid ounce) container chicken stock

salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

2 tsp ginger powder (maybe more - to taste)

2 tsp Zatarains (maybe more - to taste)

1/3-3/4 c half and half

Directions

1. Cut B-nut squash in half, seed. Rub with EVOO and salt and pepper. Place in baking dish and add small amount of water to cover the bottom.  Bake for 45 minutes to an hour.

2.Melt the EVOO in a large pot, and cook the onion, celery, potatoes, and squash 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Pour in chicken stock to cover vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer while squash is roasting, or until all vegetables are tender.

3.Transfer the soup to a blender adding the squash, and blend until smooth. Return to pot, and mix in any remaining stock to attain desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper add half and half.
 
This soup reminds me of fancy potato soup and was delicious. Sorry no picture, but it's a beautiful yellow/ golden orange color!

No comments:

Post a Comment