Wednesday, December 29, 2010

New Year's Goal prompting some thinking...beware!

As the new year approaches Andrew and I have been evaluating our spending, planning our spending/ setting goals for the new year. This is taxing...it makes you see how married to the world you really are. 

Martin Luther,"The last part of a man to be converted is his wallet."

I hope in this new year we do better...I hope that we grow spiritually and out of that we realize that we have everything in Christ and thus are free to decrease our spending because we are less dependent on those things for satisfaction. Honestly, that's probably my resolution for each year the rest of my life. That I would continually refocus on how much I've been given instead of how much I want. I've read some great articles today on finances and of course debt always comes up with that issue.  They talk about the debt that most young Americans carry and it's devastating! I'm an American = I'm materialistic (period) I pray for myself and the rest of this country that Jesus would grow in our hearts and help us say no to consumerism/materialism. On occasion, if you read this blog you will have to deal with my advice, however flawed it may be. (Sorry)

Dave Ramsey is the Christian financial goo-roo of our day and I just love this motto "Act Your Wage"!  Here is the article/blog I stumbled upon that started this rant.  Also, if you are looking for a book on finances I still recommend The Complete Financial Guide for Young Couples by Larry Burkett.  This book IS intended for couples; however, I think it has great advice for anyone young, old, single, married.

No comments:

Post a Comment