Thursday, August 9, 2012

Late photos of the garden

We had a great garden this year and might replant some more squash and green beans soon. We put away 11 quarts of green beans, 14 quarts of tomatoes, and 2 quarts of tomato soup. My great aunt Martha has the best recipe that my mom has always used. I'm telling you there aren't many things better than homemade tomato soup. I need to make it a few more times before I'm truly comfortable that I have it down, but I'll get there. I'll share it someday.

We officially learned how to can without my mom's supervision. We still called to ask questions, but progress none-the-less. My mom and I pulled out boxes and boxes of Mason jars and I've cleaned up about half. This was so neat because of the variety of brands and styles. My mom really likes the square-ish jars usually called a perfect mason. I love the longlife masons. Something really sentimental to me about the longlife ones. I guess that some of these belonged to my mom's mom and truly these jars have kept food to feed generations of my family. I know I can make anything sentimental. Haha!

Anyway here are some photos. You can see how lush our squash and zucchini got by my hand photo below.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Beautiful!!!! I wish we could have a garden like that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, I am impressed:) Very nice!!!

    ReplyDelete