Thursday, October 25, 2012

On the Food Frontier

Andrew and I decided to do a little hiking (and by decided I mean he allowed me because he's not a huge fan but knows I love it). I thought I should pack significant snackage, because it was likely to push a meal back (but really we ended up missing it all together). So I made pumpkin muffins with cream cheese, olive pimento cheese and pretzels, and apples for the hike.

Pumpkin Bread/Muffins

Yields: 2 loaves or 2 dozen muffins
1 c oil
1 c water
1 c pumpkin
 (water and pumpkin to equal 2 cups, with at least or more 1 c pumpkin- adjust water ounce to ounce)
4 eggs
2 c sugar
3 c flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder

Beat all wet ingredients and sugar.  In separate bowl sift all dry ingredients. Add all together and beat until combined.  Bake at 350: loaves for 1 hour, muffins 20-25 mins.

Option: Cream Cheese Center (like it's even an option)
1 package low fat cream cheese
1 egg
tsp vanilla
powdered sugar (not sure how much maybe 2-3 tablespoons)
Beat all ingredients. Scoop into pastry bag (or plastic baggie). Cut small opening. Put bag into center or muffin batter and squeeze and pull up.  I had no idea what I was doing and it turned out perfect.


Olive Pimento Cheese

I think I've shared this before. Lately pimentos have just not been my thing. I remembered that I had made this before and started using olives with pimentos instead of plain pimentos.  We also substitute sour cream for mayo. We just don't like it, no offense. Any way I don't have a recipe. I just grate cheese, chop olives, and dollop sour cream until it's right. Start with less olives, especially if you aren't planning on eating it all in one sitting.  This has become our go to pimento cheese. Dip with pretzels is our favorite, but it's good on toast or sandwiches too.  (no photo...it gets eaten too quick)

No comments:

Post a Comment