Monday, March 12, 2012

Barn wood Planters

So do you remember when I was bragging about my niece buying a horse and us helping build the barn? Well I did and actually just did it again! I'm so proud of her for saving bday and Christmas money, and she was actually pretty humble about it giving credit to her grandma for "matching" what she earned.

Anyway, so we were helping my Sis and bro-in-law build the barn, and the women's job was to go tear down another old barn for usable wood to use in the tack room of the new barn. Well, on round two it was just my Mom and myself looking for "good" wood. It was kind of a joke; we probably almost killed ourselves a bunch from tearing down walls with the roof almost collapsing on us and not to mention we didn't really know what "good" meant. Later my Sis told me it meant it had to be at least 1 inch thick and not have to many cracks in it. We ended up bring back some good stuff, but a lot of unusable wood for the barn. My Mom is a lover of all of creation. She is very frugal, but generous; I think she just has "thou shall not waste" embedded in her DNA. She couldn't stand that my Sis was just going to burn the wood, plus she tends to like the rustic style. To be honest, we all kind of like that style. I was chatting with her about projects we could do with the left over wood. I said we could build some planters out of the wood and she LOVED the idea. Hannah and I didn't really have any great ideas for her birthday, so we decided to build the planters for her birthday. They turned out well, but by far not perfect. She loved them! Mama's bday was last Sunday.
We ended up putting some plastic pots in these; we were afraid that the aged wood wouldn't hold up well with all the moisture of a plant. We also have planned to try and make some picture frames from the barnwood and put up some newly printed photos from our Pacific NW trip(woot woot)! This may be a challenge, but I'm really hoping it will work out!

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, that planter is AWESOME! I, too, love rustic things. Your PacNW photos will look great in rustic wooden frames! Must admit, I am slightly envious... (: Great re-use of earth's gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I am super excited, but am realistic this will be difficult b/c you have to etch out a place for the glass and photos...Andrew is a little concerned. I so hope it turns out well. I, like my mom, really hate to waste.

    ReplyDelete