Friday, March 30, 2012

Surrounded by Amazing

On a daily basis I am humbled by the talent around me. I have a husband who can pick up anything new and excel at it. Just this past weekend he taught himself how to change all the spark plugs and coils (I don't even know what those are really) on his truck. It took him about 5 hours, and he saved us some serious $$$. He also has taught himself how to play the piano, guitar, and picked up my violin once and made it sound pretty great! Am I leaving anything out? Oh yeah he's pretty much great at every sport. Ok, so I have a very talented sister too. She sews custom drapes for designers for a living. She started sewing at the age of like 8, I think. She started with learning to crochet with my Grandma; after she passed away she continued and taught herself how to sew quilts and made costumes for us. I really need to post a picture of us in some of her stuff growing up...it would be AWESOME(ly funny.) Then in highschool she sewed her prom dresses and took some home ec classes and got hooked up with a seamstress who sewed for a designer. There she learned how to do a few things, but mostly realized she needed some sewing courses. She did that. She is now awesome and has this mind that can engineer all kinds of drapes, and as you've seen flower pots out of barnwood. My mom, not having tons of time, but can write, sew, and paint/draw well and bake so GOOOOOOD. Also, she did lots of crafts with us growing up and has an amazing green thumb both for the table and for pleasure. So with all this awesomeness you can get kinda down on yourself, but I don't. I like who I am, but mostly I focus on these awesome people. I should mention that Andrew comes from a line of awesomeness too...and I didn't take pics of Andrew's handy work, but here's my sis' latest awesome thing she did for me.

Andrew gave me a Kindle for V day, I promptly damaged the screen...just a little.
THANKFULLY it self healed, but I knew I needed a cover to carry it in.

Pretty cool it has this pocket front and back. You can stick whatever you like in...
I should mention I totally stole the idea from etsy.com. They had the
 idea, but none of theirs seemed sturdy enough to tolerate any kind of
 blow that might injure my screen. This has cereal box in it to
sturdy the fabric enough to protect the screen.
This is the one I stole it from, and when I decided it
 looked a little plain and to add my twine details. I
think we can agree...mine's better!


My Kindle. It slides in the top.


So you can see the cool details. I decided that this twine I had would make
 great fringes. I love this button. It has a really great contrast in the wood grain, which
is my favorite. Also, it's not even wood. It's recycled plastic. I have no idea how
they do it, or who they are, but it's awesome!

Oh yeah and this was on $10 worth of materials, I have a lot left over too! The covers I looked at on etsy and amazon were about 20-30 dollars. I am so excited about my cover.
Man I love being surrounded by AMAZING people!

No comments:

Post a Comment