Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Our Potato Soup

I want to say that this was the best soup I've ever made. But not all of my attempts have been overwhelmingly awesome. Here are my "tweeks": I halved the entire recipe except the onion, boil potatoes in just enough water to cover them, adding salt and pepper to the water, fry bacon, use part bacon grease part butter to make the roux. I drained a little of the liquid off the potatoes, but it was so thick from the potatoe breakdown that I just dumped it in. I used half the amount of sour cream, but then garnished with a dollup. I added 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder (good for a milder garlic flavor vs fresh garlic which will make stronger garlic taste). I stirred half the bacon in the last 5 minutes and used half to keep for garnishing. I would just make less and just garnish, because I don't like mushy bacon. Even though I fried it first it still started to get less crunchy. That's simply how I like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment